Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Review: Before We Fall by Courtney Cole


Before We Fall
(Beautifully Broken, #3)
by Courtney Cole
New Adult Realistic Contemporary
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.01
Published by: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers 
Published on: May 5, 2009
Pages: 276


Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Sometimes, one dark moment is all it takes to turn your world black...

For 24-year old Dominic Kinkaide, that moment took place on the night of his high school graduation. One dark incident changed him forever. He's a hardened actor now, famous in the eyes of the world, but tortured in his own. He doesn't care about much of anything, except for losing himself in the roles that he plays.

23-year old Jacey Vincent doesn't realize how much her father's indifference has affected her. She is proof that sometimes it isn't one specific moment that wrecks a person, but rather it's an absence of moments. She's like a bird with a broken wing-strong yet fragile, as she tries to float through life, finding acceptance in the arms of random guys, one after the other... to fill the void that her father left in her.

Until she meets Dominic.

After jaded Dominic and strong-willed Jacey are thrown together, his secret and her issues create a dark and damaged energy that will soon turn their attraction to each other into an explosive storm.

Even though when the clouds have cleared and the dust has settled, both of them are almost obliterated... they've learned a priceless lesson.

Sometimes, before we fall... we fly.

My Rating: 4 stars

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I did not receive any compensation for this review nor was I obligated to write a good review. 

Warnings/Side-notes: This book was a lot darker and had a lot more adult content than I was expecting. I ended up skipping several pages. This novel is definitely for older teens. 18+. This novel is dark. I also didn't like the portrayal of women in the series. Most of the women came across as weak or I don't know how to explain it without giving things away. Just know, this book is...I don't know what word to use other than the one I've already used...dark.

An overview of the Novel: Jacey always falls for the wrong guy. The last time she did, somebody died for her. Now she's tyring to get her act together. That's why Dominic is exactly the person she should stay away for. 

Dominic doesn't fall for people. As a famous actor, he has more than enough girls willing to do anything for him. But Dominic never falls for it. If girls want to be stupid, all the better. 

But then somebody puts drugs in his car and him and Jacey end up with community service. Spending time together, both of them might have to admit that they fave feelings for each other. Or they might just decide to allow the past to continue to dictate the future. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: This book is extremely well-written. It's just really really dark. Toward the end of the book, I really really started to hate Dominic. I thought Jacey was weak and deserved a lot better than the crap Dominic dished out to her, and yet I did like Jacey.

The dynamic between the two of them was interesting, maybe even electric. Cole's novel is addicting. I couldn't put it down. For readers, who like a darker read, you won't want to miss this one. The characters are well-crafted, the prose is good, and the plot will pull you in. 

So why 4 stars? I'm hesitant to give this 4 stars because I didn't like how dark it was. However, it was a really good book. I would recommend it to readers who like darker reads. 

Can I read the series out of order? Yes, I did and I didn't feel lost. 

The Wrap-up: Mixed feelings about this one. I don't regret reading it and yet I'm kind of sad about the things portrayed in this novel. I know it's real life, but still. A beautiful read but one that horrified me. 

Love,

Danica Page

4 comments:

  1. Darker books can be really difficult to get through but sometimes they're so good! I haven't read anything by this author but I'd probably pick this one up. Great review! :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I felt about it. It was hard to get through, but I'm glad I did. I'm even going to read the second one because I'm just intrigued. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I have read Courtney Cole in the past and found her characters and plot to be on the darker more tragic side as well. I like that in a book, but I understand where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her novels are quite dark. I have a love-hate relationship with darker reads. I love them, but then at a certain point they are hard for me to handle. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)