Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Review: Everly After by Rebecca Paula

Everly After
by Rebecca Paula
New Adult Realistic Contemporary
Published on: November 2014
Pages: 379

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

All truths burn bright and clear. I’m still waiting in the dark.

Everly Monteith has traded her life of glitter, parties, and self-destruction for waitressing at a Parisian cafĂ©. She’s put the tragedy that sent her across the Atlantic in the past—until her toxic ex shows up and sends her reeling once more. Her fresh start begins slipping away until a smug British war correspondent crashes her party. But falling for Beckett means letting down her guard, something that might pull them both into the dark.

There are beautiful lies in this world, and it takes me being chased through a hallway at a rave to decide this girl is one of them. But even the most beautiful lies aren’t worth chasing.

Twenty-five-year-old Beckett Reid is forced into sabbatical after being kidnapped on assignment in Afghanistan. Back in Paris, he locks himself away to work on a novel, focused on saving his budding journalism career. But when he meets an enigmatic American heiress, his plans are quickly neglected. Everly is the perfect replacement for dangerous war zones, even if she does leave glitter on everything he owns. Reckless and wild, she runs through life making more mistakes than anyone he’s met, but Beckett is determined to fight for her, even if he must face the messy truth that he must fight for himself first.


My Rating: 2 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel in exchange for my honest opinion. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Okay I rarely give bad reviews. In fact, I actually hate doing it. I know how much time authors put into novels and so it kills me when I can't find something, anything I like about a novel.

Seriously, I can usually always find something to swing a novel up to a 3 star rating, but with this one I just couldn't. I hated Everly, absolutely couldn't understand her and it wasn't in the oh-I -don't-understand-you-but-I'm-intrigued way either. Her character just fell flat for me. Beckett I liked other than the fact that he liked Everly. The only redeeming quality of the novel for me. 

There weren't really any other characters in the stories. They made appearances but didn't really have a story or anything. They just showed up.

The writing was choppy. I felt thrown from one scene to the next without any transition. One second they were here. I turned the page and....what? I had to keep going back to see if I had skipped a page I never did. I just felt like the writing fell flat. 

The book had a lot of potential, the plotline on the surface was good, as were the character sketches; it just lacked execution. There was just no depth.

And what amazes me is how many people love this novel. I just don't understand it.

This novel left me with unanswered questions the whole time. I was holding out for a great finish that never came. I just feel like I wasted time reading this one and I rarely feel that way. 

I'm sure that some people will like this one, many people have, but for me...I don't want to be mean and say it was an epic fail but that was what it felt like. 

So why 2 stars? Okay for those skimming shorter version of what I already wrote. It just lacked substance and depth and was choppy. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Yeah there are references to alchohol, drugs, suicide, and death. It's pretty vague though. 16+. 

The Wrap-up: I'm utterly disappointed. I feel so mean for writing this review, but seriously just....wow. 

Love,

Danica Page

1 comment:

  1. I understand that you hate to give bad reviews. And authors do spend a lot of time writing books. Getting them published is a challenge. But I understand that some books just don't seem good to some people. I hope you don't feel bad about writing a bad review. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)