Friday, December 26, 2014

Review: More Than This by Jay McLean

More Than This
(More Than, #1)
by Jay McLean
New Adult 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.25 
Published on: July 10,2013
Pages: 311

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:


When Mikayla imagined her prom night, she envisioned a fairy-tale evening full of romance. So when betrayal and tragedy come in quick succession, Mikayla is completely destroyed. Suddenly, everything she loved and everyone she relied on are tragically, irrevocably gone.


Jake, a handsome boy she just met, happens to witness her loss. With no one to turn to, Mikayla is forced to depend on this near stranger and his family, and he in turn is determined to take care of her. But Mikayla—thrust into adulthood with no one to guide her—is desperate to contain her grief and hide what she considers to be her weakness. Mikayla and Jake both want more, but despite their growing closeness and intense chemistry, she tries to keep her distance and protect her heart. As he does everything in his power to win her trust, Mikayla must choose between remaining alone and safe or letting love in.


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

An Overview of the Novel: Mikayla never could have envisioned how her prom night would end. First, she catches her best friend with her boyfriend and they certainly weren't just talking. And then, she find outs that somebody murdered her entire family.

The only decent thing is Jake Andrews, the guy who was there to see it all happen and the guy who has swept into save her. He's gone above and beyond to help her and so has his family.

The problem is that Jake Andrews is the type of guy you could easily fall in love with and Mikayla has no intentions of doing that.

Jake Andrews is a star baseball player who has the major league scouts looking at him and has the attention of several girls too. But there's only one girl who's started interesting him and that's Mikayla. But surrounded by tragedy and bad communication, being together might just be a little bit tougher than they thought. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I actually really enjoyed this novel and the characters. I was so frustrated at them sometimes, but I loved watching this story unfold. 

It was cute and very well-written. I loved all of the characters even the secondary characters took on a life of their own and I adored that. This novel is a great look at overcoming grief, at love, at chasing your dreams, and just beating the odds.

McLean's writing was great and I'm so glad I read this novel. It was my first by this author, but it will certainly not be my last. 

This novel is an excellent, unique addition to the world of New Adult fiction that comes highly recommended. 

Yes, the plot is slightly unrealistic and there were several things that bothered me, but on the whole, I enjoyed the novel. 

So why 4 stars? Because it stood out to me. I loved the characters, the plot, the writing, everything. It was great. 

Warnings/Side-notes: This novel is for 17+. There are several instances of strong language and several sexual references. 

The Wrap-up: An intriguing read that I really enjoyed. I'm really excited to keep reading and to see what happens next in the series. I'm really glad I took a chance on this one. 

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed More Than this as well. At the end I got a bit frustrated with Mikayla, but not too much. I'm glad I read it as well, and I'll probably read the other ones too.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also got frustrated with her, but I guess it's understandable. I also want to read the other ones. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)