Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Review: Stone Cold Touch by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Stone Cold Touch
(The Dark Elements, #2)
by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Young Adult 
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.53
Published by: Harlequin Teen
Published on: October 21, 2014
Pages: 464

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Every touch has its price

Layla Shaw is trying to pick up the pieces of her shattered life—no easy task for a seventeen-year-old who’s pretty sure things can’t get worse. Her impossibly gorgeous best friend, Zayne, is forever off-limits thanks to the mysterious powers of her soul-stealing kiss. The Warden clan that has always protected her is suddenly keeping dangerous secrets. And she can barely think about Roth, the wickedly hot demon prince who understood her in ways no one else could.

But sometimes rock bottom is only the beginning. Because suddenly Layla’s powers begin to evolve, and she’s offered a tantalizing taste of what has always been forbidden. Then, when she least expects it, Roth returns, bringing news that could change her world forever. She’s finally getting what she always wanted, but with hell literally breaking loose and the body count adding up, the price may be higher than Layla is willing to pay…


My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions:  Holy cow! I loved this book. The writing was just fantastic and the plot was incredible. JLA is incredible. This book is one of my favorites that I've read by her and that is saying something.

She managed to write a love triangle that I enjoyed. That in itself is remarkable as usually they drive me nuts. But with these characters it worked. The novel was fast-paced and drew me in from the very first page. I couldn't wait to see what happened next.

The ending left me stunned. I won't give anything away, but geez! The ending is torture. It left me dying to read the third one and I won't be able to read it until forever. Why? 

Anyway, a novel that I didn't predict how it was going to end. That in and of itself is fantastic. 

The Characters: 

Layla- I still adored her. I loved watching her in this novel. The last novel she realized what she was and this novel she started to learn how to own it. I loved how she didn't let people boss her around and took chances.

Zayne- In the first novel, I didn't really like him. In this novel, I stared to adore him. At the end of the novel, I really loved him. But then as I started thinking about everything he did throughout this novel and the last one, I really started not to like him. I was torn fifty-fifty between Roth and Zayne and think that Layla could be happy with either, but after thinking about it more, I've decided to be team Roth. 

Roth- So complicated in this novel. I was so relieved he showed up, but then he spent most of the novel acting like a complete tool. However, like I said, I'm team Roth and I loved watching him grow in this novel.

Secondary characters- I love the secondary characters in JLA's novels. They always take on a life of their own and I adore them. She doesn't do cookie-cutter characters and I love that. 

So why 4.5 stars? Because it's brilliant. Give this series a shot. But like I said wait until the third one comes out. 

Can I read the series out of order? You can. In many ways, this one reads a lot like a stand-alone novel. However, you will be missing out on a lot of awesomeness and the series will make more sense if you read in order. Also, you will have a better understanding of the characters. 

Warnings/Side-notes: It is young adult in nature, but it has references to sex. They are vague, but they are there. 15+.

The Wrap-up: I can't believe I have to wait so long to read the next one in the series. JLA is killing me and yet I totally love her. I'm reading four different series by her right now. How does she manage to write so many good books that fast? I'm totally a fangirl. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)