Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Review: Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Wicked
(The Wicked Saga, #1)
by Jennifer L. Armentrout
New Adult Paranormal Romance
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.33 
Published on: December 8, 2014
Pages: 371

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:



Things are about to get Wicked in New Orleans.


Twenty-two year old Ivy Morgan isn’t your average college student. She, and others like her, know humans aren’t the only thing trolling the French Quarter for fun… and for food. Her duty to the Order is her life. After all, four years ago, she lost everything at the hands of the creatures she’d sworn to hunt, tearing her world and her heart apart.

Ren Owens is the last person Ivy expected to enter her rigidly controlled life. He’s six feet and three inches of temptation and swoon-inducing charm. With forest-green eyes and a smile that’s surely left a stream of broken hearts in its wake, he has an uncanny, almost unnatural ability to make her yearn for everything he has to offer. But letting him in is as dangerous as hunting the cold-blooded killers stalking the streets. Losing the boy she loved once before had nearly destroyed her, but the sparking tension that grows between them becomes impossible for Ivy to deny. Deep down, she wants… she needs more than what her duty demands of her, what her past has shaped for her.

But as Ivy grows closer to Ren, she realizes she’s not the only one carrying secrets that could shatter the frail bond between them. There’s something he’s not telling her, and one thing is for certain. She’s no longer sure what is more dangerous to her—the ancient beings threatening to take over the town or the man demanding to lay claim to her heart and her soul. 

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

An Overview of the Novel: Ivy has seen things that nobody else should ever have to see. She is a member of the Order and as such is tasked with the responsibility of killing the fae. Disney got it wrong again. Not only are fairies not cute, they are lethal and feed off of humans to stay alive.

Ivy's spent her whole life fighting them, but one night she sees something new and different. Something that she can't explain. She meets something that isn't quite human and yet is not like all the other fae she's met before.

Then she meets Ren. Ren is the new guy and seems to have some of the answers she's looking for, but Ivy is convinced he's trouble and dangerous--dangerous to her heart and maybe just plain dangerous.

Forced to work together, they start unraveling the pieces one at a time hoping it's not too late to stop the fae. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions:  Okay so based off the cover I was expecting I don't know a mermaid story. I love the cover though, but yeah not a mermaid book. :)

I love Armentrout, hence why I stayed up literally all night reading this book. Yes, I guessed many parts of the ending, but that didn't lessen the appeal of this book. I adored it and flew through it.

I loved Ivy. She's so kick-butt and Ren was such an intriguing character. I loved the world that Armentrout created. It sucked me in from the beginning. And even though I've finished the book, I keep thinking about things that are going to happen in the sequel. I've imagined all these different scenes. Any book can do that is one of my favorites.

The novel is fast-paced. The romance is steamy, and the characters are incredibly well-crafted. In typical Armentrout fashion, she had me laughing out loud throughout the novel. This is a must-read novel for JLA fans, paranormal fans, new adult fans, and just readers in general.

An incredible read that comes highly recommended. 

So why 4 stars? It was pure awesomeness. I love JLA and this one was no exception. I gave it a 4 because it was slightly predictable. Other than that I loved it. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Several instances of strong language. Sexual content geared for 18+. 

The Wrap-up:  An adorable, kick-butt, fast-paced novel. When is the sequel coming out, oh yeah the spring/summer 2015. Don't think I can wait that long. Go buy this one, you won't regret it. 

Love,

Danica Page

8 comments:

  1. I need to hurry up and get my hands on this fast...I love all her books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes go buy it now! You won't regret it. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. This sounds good. I especially like the New Orleans setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the New Orleans setting was fantastic.

      Delete
  3. Aren't things always wicked in NOLA LOL :) Great review, I am even more excited about this one now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read this one and loved it! JLA is one of my favourite authors so I knew it was going to be epic. But the ending! Aah, I can't believe I have to wait until summer of 2015 for the sequel :( So happy you enjoyed it and great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I felt the same way. I'm dying for the sequel.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)