Friday, January 23, 2015

Guest post: Author Jade Varden "Why I fell in Love with Writing"

Fellow Page-Turners,

Today I'm pleased to have Jade Varden on the site. She has agreed to talk about why she loves writing. It's a great post that really explains the love/hate relationship with writing. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 

Why I Fell in Love with Writing

When I was asked to write a guest post about why I like to write, I had a quick, negative reaction. My first thought, honestly, was that I might write about post about why I hate writing instead. But then I stopped myself, and tried to remember a time when I didn't just like to write. I remembered a time when I truly, truly loved it. Sometimes, all writers need to remind themselves of why they fell in love with words in the first place.

I Love You, I Hate You

I'm like a lot of self-published authors, because I also have a "day job." But my day job is also writing. I work under a different pen name as a freelancer, and I work a lot because the majority of freelancers don't make a ton of money. I write all day every day anyway, and I'm not always motivated to keep writing at the end of another long day.

When you're tired and stressed out and some editor is giving you a hard time and someone on Twitter is having a fit and you've got to rewrite that article and you're behind on blog posts and you still haven't answered that email, it's natural to hate writing. I've hated the written word many times; sometimes, several times a day. But love is like that, sometimes. Love and hate are so closely linked, sometimes you hate the thing you love or fall in love with the thing you hate.

Once, being a writer was just an idea I had. It was a goal I was going to reach, a dream that I was proud to share with anyone who wanted to listen. I was going to scribble my life away in some close room somewhere, just me and a desk and all of my imaginings. Every word would be amazing, of course, and literary critics would say I am the best there ever was or ever will be. I'll sell more books than Shakespeare and everyone will say I make him look like a hack.

The idea of being a writer was certainly nicer than the reality, because I don't get to sit in a little room and write and no one is going to compare me to Shakespeare. But even when the hours are long and I have to answer to Twitter, I do live the life of a writer. I fell in love with writing because I wanted to put words down on a page. I wanted people to read them.

And they do. Maybe I'm not Shakespeare, best-selling author of all time. Maybe I'm not Emily Dickinson, who literally sat in her room and wrote. Maybe I'm tired and stressed and I write too much, sometimes, but one thing hasn't changed since that day I first dreamed of being a writer. I love putting words down on the page, and always will. Too many words are always, always, better than not enough. 
About the Author   
Jade Varden writes young adult novels for teen readers. When she’s not crafting mysteries in her books, Jade also blogs practical writing tips for authors who self-publish. Jade currently makes her home in Louisville, Kentucky, where she enjoys reading and reviewing indie books by other self-published authors. Follow her on Twitter @JadeVarden. Visit Jade’s blog at http://jadevarden.blogspot.com/ for reviews, writing tips, self-publishing advice and everything else you ever wanted to know about reading and writing books. Jade has just released her newest book "Song of the Sea," the first installment in her new "Saltwater Secrets" trilogy. Get it everywhere online books are sold!

 Song of the Sea
I always knew who my mother was. I always knew where I belonged. And I always knew I wanted to be on the water, like my dad. …Until I was forced to go out into the water, anyway. Out there, you feel really lonely. But you’re never alone. There is more life and emotion under the waves than most humans will ever see, more than I could have ever imagined. Down there, it’s an entire world of rage and hate, love and hope. It’s a world of fear. It’s a world of war. Once, my mother told me she would sing me a song of the sea. But under the waves, the only music I ever heard was the sound of screams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)