Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Review: 99 days by Katie Cotugno

99 days 
by Katie Cotugno
Young Adult Realistic Contemporary 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.78
Published by: Balzer + Bray
Published on: April 21, 2015
Pages: 384

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:


Day 1: Julia Donnelly eggs my house my first night back in Star Lake, and that’s how I know everyone still remembers everything—how I destroyed my relationship with Patrick the night everything happened with his brother, Gabe. How I wrecked their whole family. Now I’m serving out my summer like a jail sentence: Just ninety-nine days till I can leave for college, and be done.

Day 4: A nasty note on my windshield makes it clear Julia isn’t finished. I’m expecting a fight when someone taps me on the shoulder, but it’s just Gabe, home from college and actually happy to see me. “For what it’s worth, Molly Barlow,” he says, “I’m really glad you’re back.”

Day 12: Gabe got me to come to this party, and I’m actually having fun. I think he’s about to kiss me—and that’s when I see Patrick. My Patrick, who’s supposed to be clear across the country. My Patrick, who’s never going to forgive me.


My Rating: I'm going to break this up like this.

The actual writing: 5
The topic: 1
What the characters did: 1
The message it contained: 4

So I guess I'll give it a 4. 

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

An Overview of the Novel: Julia's mom destroyed her life the moment she wrote a book based on Julia's life. Suddenly all the secrets Julia tried to keep were out for everybody to read, and so Julia did what she does best--she ran away without so much as looking back. No, literally she ran away to an all-girls boarding school. 

But now she's stuck home for 99 days of the summer. And it's like a jail sentence. Nobody in that town has forgotten. Julia, her old best friend, is set on making her life miserable. Yes, she knows she shouldn't have got between two brothers, but people are making sure she won't forget it any time soon.

Then she finds out Gabe is back and Julia finds herself falling for him. But then Patrick comes back, Patrick the other brother the one she used to date before he found out about her and Gabe. And suddenly Julia finds herself coming between the two brothers yet again. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: The subject matter of this book is hard to take in. A girl caught between two brothers and a girl who cheated. It was hard to watch Julia keep making so many mistakes and watch how certain people in the story used her. 

It was hard to read. And yet, I found myself rooting for Julia despite all her shortcomings. Despite her actions, she's a really likable characters. She's just lost and not sure how to save herself. For being only 18 years old, that's understandable. A lot of her problems could have been avoided if she had had somebody she could trust. 

This book was nothing like I thought it would be. The ending bugged me at first, but now I really like it. The more I sit on this novel, the more I like it.

Yes, I hate the characters in some ways, I hate the crap that they make each other go through, and I hate the decisions they made. However, the story is poignant and profound. This novel takes a hard look at what it means to be a teenager and what it means to stand up for yourself. 

This novel is not one everybody will like. To be honest, I don't know if I can say I  liked it. But I respect it because it made me think. Any book that still has you thinking  

So why 4 stars? Because for me the message the story contains is important. You can't run from your past; you have to face it. Eventually, you have to face who you are and the mistakes you've made. It has a good message.

Warnings/Side-notes: There is sexual content but think of it in a "Sarah Dessen" way. It's there, but there are no details. It's just mentioned.  That's why I ranked this as young adult and not new adult, even though it's in the floater zone. Would recommend for 15+.

The Wrap-up: A messed-up girl making a lot of messed-up decisions with characters who made me want to scream "GROW UP! GET OVER YOURSELF! NO DON'T DO THAT!" that surprisingly I enjoyed. It left me thinking and overall it's a profound book. 

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, now I'm really scared to read this. I'm part of the blog tour, and I wish that the cheating thing doesn't bother me too much. Great review!
    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I hope you enjoy the novel!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)