Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Review: Courting Emily by Amy Lillard

Courting Emily
(Wells Landing, #2)
by Amy Lillard
Adult Amish fiction
Asked to Review
Published by: Zebra 
Published on: January 6, 2015
Pages: 368



Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from the web:


Return to Wells Landing, the close-knit Amish community in Oklahoma, where a hopeful young woman struggles to find true love while staying true to her faith. 
Emily Ebersol is the bishop's daughter, and everyone--including Emily--assumes she'll marry a faithful Amish man and live out her days within the community. But her childhood sweetheart, Luke Lambright, fell in love with racing cars during his rumspringa and decided to leave Wells Landing. Emily prays for his return, but as the months go by, she begins spending time with another young man--a man who may not be as exciting as Luke, but perhaps he's exactly what she needs. . .
Elam Rhiel knows that Emily has always been in love with Luke--but he is certain he could be the loyal, steady husband Emily deserves. Then, just as Emily begins to fall for him, Luke returns and complicates her feelings. Now, they all must learn that the greatest love requires the greatest sacrifice. . .
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

The Characters: Emily is a character that I enjoyed from the very first pages. She's just had her heart-broken and yet she's trying to survive. She's very obedient to her father and tries to do her best. And then she sees Elam and his family's condition. They need help. She immediately seeks to help them. 

She's kind and I loved reading about her. Some of her decisions frustrated me to no end, but I loved reading about her.

Elam was forced to take on too much responsibility after his father's accident and it's made him overly serious. Not too mention, he's been in love with Emily for forever. But she's in love with Luke. I liked Elam from the beginning. He was a character that I loved reading about. In fact, the only reason I wanted to read this book in the first place was because of this character. He didn't disappoint. 

The secondary characters were interesting and I enjoyed reading about them. They were well-developed.

I enjoyed watching the dynamics of the characters. That was what made the novel for me. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I've read a lot of Amish fiction, and yet they always seem so similar that I haven't read as much recently. This one, however, I did want to read. I'm glad I did.

I loved the dynamics between the characters, as I've previously mentioned and that made the novel enjoyable. The writing was polished and engaging. 

The novel was very predictable. I knew how it was going to end from the beginning and yet I didn't care too much. This novel didn't exactly stand out in the realm of Amish fiction, but I did enjoy it. 

So why 3.5 stars? I did enjoy it, although it was very predictable. 

Can I read the series out of order? I did. The novel can be read as a stand-alone. 

Warnings/Side-notes: None. 

The Wrap-up: An enjoyable albeit predictable book, but one that I'm sure fans of the genre will love. It interested me enough that I would probably keep reading the series. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)