Saturday, January 3, 2015

Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer

Cress
(The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
by Marissa Meyer
Young Adult 
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.48
Published by: Feiwel & Friends
Published on: February 4, 2014 
Pages: 550

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:


In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.


My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.  

The Characters: Cress- She's a well-developed character. I loved how Meyer envisioned her. She's a tad socially awkward just like all "Rapunzels" seem to be. I loved this addition to the crew and am excited to see what comes next for Cress. 

Cinder- As fiercely awesome as ever. I have immensely enjoyed this character. She has grown so much throughout the series. I love how Cinder is the heroine who doesn't really want to be one and yet is going to still kick-butt. The typical "hero-receives-unlikely-call" plot, but I love her. This novel showed so much of here. 

Captain Thorne- I love this character and I really enjoyed getting to know him better in this novel. He reminds me of Han Solo a little bit. Typical scoundrel who isn't really a scoundrel. Literally one of my favorite types of characters, so yeah I loved this book because I got to know him.

Wolf and Scarlet- I would have enjoyed seeing more of them in this novel since they are awesome characters, but I still loved them and am dying to see what happens in the third book.

Kai- I still am in love with this character. Meyer has done a great job with building his character and after the ending, I'm stoked to read the fourth book.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions:  I love this book. Meyer has done an incredible job at creating characters I love and has built an awesome world. I have loved every single book in this series. 

This series is one that I would recommend for fans of all genres. The writing is fast-paced, the characters are brilliant, and the plot grips you from the very beginning.

I think this has to be the best retelling of fairytales that I have ever read. I keep thinking there has to be one that I don't absolutely love and that still hasn't happened. Definitely recommended. 

So why 5 stars? It's epic. I adore this series and have loved every minute of them. 

Can I read the series out of order? I guess you could, but I really really wouldn't recommend it. 

Warnings/Side-notes: None. Good for readers of all ages. I would suggest waiting to read this one until closer to the fourth book. That wait is going to kill me. 

The Wrap-up: Absolutely epic. An incredible, thrilling read that is perfect for all readers. 

Love,

Danica Page

6 comments:

  1. Oooh I have yet to read Cress but your review has gotten me excited for it. I loved Wolf and Scarlet. Can't wait to see more of them! Thanks for sharing :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm super excited for the next one. I also loved Scarlet and Wolf. I hope that there's more Scarlet and Wolf in the next one. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
    2. The next one, Fairest, comes out the 27th of this month. Originally I thought it was supposed to be Winter next, but the author snuck this one in first. It is Queen Levana's story.

      Delete
    3. Okay that makes me happy. I really don't want to wait.

      Delete
  2. I loved Cress, too. I love the series so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty fantastic. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)