Sunday, January 4, 2015

Review: Hawk (Quiet Professionals, #2) by Ronie Kendig

Hawk
(Quiet Professionals, #2)
by Ronie Kendig
Adult 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.51
Published by: Shiloh Run Press
Published on: November 1, 2014
Pages: 358

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Raptor's communications expert, Staff Sergeant Brian "Hawk" Bledsoe is struggling with his inner demons, leaving him on the verge of an "other than honorable" discharge. Plagued with corrupted intel, Raptor team continues to track down the terrorist playing chess with their lives. Afghan pilot Fekiria Haidary is devastated when a systems glitch on her aircraft forces a weapons launch on a safe target. And when the deadly bombing separates Brian from the team, he must make an impossible choice: save his brothers-in-arms, or save the woman and children depending on him to survive a brutal snowstorm. 

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

The Characters: After reading the first in the series, Hawk was a character that I wanted to know more about. This book provided those answers. I thought that Kendig did a good job of bringing him to life. He was a surprisingly good character and I enjoyed watching him throughout the novel. I did not feel as connected to him as I would have liked. I don't know there was just something holding me back, but all in all I did like him.

Fekiria was a character I actually really liked. She was a strong character trying to make her way in a male-dominated society. Often, her choices left me frustrated, but I enjoyed reading about her. I thought that she could have been more developed, but I liked watching her.

The characters in the novel were well-crafted. There are just a lot of them and sometimes I found myself getting bogged down in all the converging storylines. However, I did enjoy the characters. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I liked Fekiria's story a lot. I think that was what knocked this novel up to a 4 for me. However, having said that, there were so many different storylines that I found myself wondering why there were so many. I felt bogged down at times and certain chapters I just didn't want to read.

However, on the most part I really enjoyed the novel, hence the four stars. It was a complex read, but I'm really intrigued by the world Kendig has created. It's one that I've found myself getting pulled into.

I recommend it to fans of war/army stories. 

So why 4 stars? Despite the flaws, it stood out and I want to read the next in the series. 

Can I read the series out of order? For the most part this one could be read as a stand-alone novel.

Warnings/Side-notes: None really. 

The Wrap-up: An intriguing read that has me wondering what on earth is going to happen next. I have a few ideas, naturally, but I can't wait to figure out if I'm right or not. An interesting series that I'll be keeping tabs on. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)