Friday, January 2, 2015

Review: Private Internship by Kitsy Clare

Private Internship
(An Art of Love, #2)
by Kitsy Clare
New Adult 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.87
Published by: Inkspell Publishing
Published on: September 30, 2014
Pages: 147

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:


Sometimes sugar isn’t so sweet and secrets can be deadly...especially with matters of the heart. 

Sienna’s bestie, Harper warned her not to intern for famous bad boy artist, Casper Mason. After all, he just fired Harper who helped Sienna get the interview. But the moment Sienna sees Casper—or Caz—sweaty, practically shirtless and swinging from chains as he works on his sculpture, she’s hooked. He’s the richest, hottest artist in New York, and he lives in the fabulous Williamsburg Sugar Factory. But he’s also an incorrigible game-player, who seems to relish testing Sienna’s loyalty with a string of unsettling tests. 
She knows she should get away fast. But by the time Sienna sneaks into his locked storage room and begins to unearth his dark and terrifying secret, she’s fallen way too hard for the handsome, charismatic Caz. 


My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

The Characters: Sienna is an aspiring artist in New York who had just landed an internship with the famous artist Cas, but her friend just got fired. She warned her that Cas isn't all that he seems and that's he hiding something. She decides to find out what that secret is.

As a character, I liked Sienna well enough, but she just didn't really stand out to me. I didn't hate her and I didn't love her. She was well-developed though and I thought she was a fairly strong female character.

Cas is a character that's more complicated. He is this mystery. He's a jerk who may not be a jerk. At the beginning, he just seemed like this big playboy, but he grows on you throughout the story.

I for one didn't quite see Sienna and Cas together as much as I wanted to. However, in the end they seemed to be doing okay together. I just wasn't rooting for them. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I thought the novel had a lot of potential. I enjoyed the overall idea and plot. I thought the characters were well-written and yet I just never felt completely sucked into the story. I found myself waiting for something big to happen and I just felt like it never came.

The novel is enjoyable and I'm glad I read it; however, it just lacked that something to make it stick out to me. I guess it's because the relationship between Cas and Sienna just didn't quite ring true for me.

However, it was still a pretty enjoyable read. 

So why 3 stars? It was good; it just didn't stand out to me. 

Can I read the series out of order? I have not read the first in the series. I think this one can easily be read as a stand-alone. 

Warnings/Side-notes: It is definitely New Adult; however, it's not all that graphic. 

The Wrap-up: An enjoyable book but one that just didn't quite grip me. Still I'd recommend it for fans of books about art or people who don't mind if there isn't a compelling romance. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)