Monday, January 5, 2015

Review: Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Scarlet
(Scarlet, #1)
by A.C. Gaughen 
Young Adult 
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.02
Published by: Walker Childrens
Published on: February 14, 2012
Pages: 292

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance. 

Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in.

It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.


My Rating: 5 stars.

The Characters: Scarlet has got to be one of my favorite characters in the young adult genre. She was just the right mix of nice and feisty. She was one kick-butt character. I loved that she stood up for herself and that she didn't take anybody's crap.

Robin Hood is a very different Robin Hood then I've ever seen and yet I loved him. He's definitely moodier and younger than in most retellings. And yet as always he has a heart of gold. I loved how fiercely he protected his band. I also loved watching him deal with trying to help but not necessarily using the right methods to do so.

John- such a funny, likable character. I do not want Scarlet to end up with John, but still I loved how Gaughen crafted this character. The three were delightful to read about.

The secondary characters were also well-developed and did not feel like cookie-cutter characters. I fell in love with the whole band. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I adored this novel. I loved how much voice the characters had. I really felt like we were inside Scarlet's head throughout the entire novel. Any author who can do that is definitely that I love. 

I also thought the novel was intriguing and extremely fast-paced. There are so many retellings of Robin Hood and yet I felt like this one took on a life of its own. Seriously an incredible novel. 

The ending had me on my toes. A great adventurous read. 

So why 5 stars? I adored it. I have absolutely no complaints. 

Warnings/Side-notes: None. I think it's suitable for readers of all ages. 

The Wrap-up: I can't wait to read the sequel. I loved this series. I've been wanting to read this one for forever and am so glad I finally got my hands on it. 

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this. It's been on my TBR for months and I've finally ordered it a few days ago.

    I'm glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am about to start the sequel. I'm super excited. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)