Thursday, January 15, 2015

Review: Significance by Shelly Crane

Significance
(Significance, #1)
by Shelly Crane
Young Adult 
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.17
Published on: June 2011
Pages: 387

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:


Maggie is a seventeen year old girl who's had a bad year. She was smart and on track, but then her mom left, her dad is depressed, she's graduating - barely - and her boyfriend of almost three years dumped her for a college football scholarship. Lately she thinks life is all about hanging on by a thread and is gripping tight with everything she has.


Then she saves the life of Caleb and instantly knows there's something about him that's intriguing. But things change when they touch, sparks ignite. Literally.

They imprint with each other and she sees their future life together flash before her eyes. She learns that not only is she his soul mate, and can feel his heartbeat in her chest, but there is a whole other world of people with gifts and abilities that she never knew existed. She herself is experiencing supernatural changes unlike anything she's ever felt before and she needs the touch of his skin to survive.

Now, not only has her dad come out of his depression to be a father again, and a pain as well, but Caleb's enemies know he's imprinted and are after Maggie to stop them both from gaining their abilities and take her from him.

Can Caleb save her or will they be forced to live without each other after just finding one another?


My Rating: 3 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Going into this book, I had read some reviews by people who hated this book and some by people who had loved it. I wasn't sure what I'd feel. I had to admit that the points that some readers brought up rang true. It is kind of creepy to think that being apart from each other literally hurts them. It's kind of strange and maybe not a great message to be sending out.

However, the novel was intriguing. I thought that the idea of a soul mate was interesting. I thought the characters were well-developed. The novel did bear traces of being self-published and there were several errors, but nothing major. 

I thought the novel was well-written to some extent. I'm not dying to read the sequel, but I am curious enough about the series that I probably will.

I thought that the novel would have been stronger if it ended earlier. The climax hit too early in my opinion and then the rest of the novel kind of sagged, but I still enjoyed the novel. 

The Characters: Caleb was a character that I wanted to like. I didn't dislike him, but I didn't love him either. Even though Caleb and Maggie were super close, I still felt like I wanted to know more about him.

I found him bossy and annoying at times, but I always felt like he had a good reason. The society in the novel is kind of male-dominated, but it didn't irk me as much as I thought it would. He was an intriguing character.

Maggie was a character that I did like. I enjoyed watching her perspective through the novel. I thought she needed to stand up for herself more, especially with Caleb. She let him walk over her too much in my opinion. I did like reading about her though.

Kyle was a character that I loved in the beginning and then very quickly started hating by the end. He was just such a brat. Not sure what to think of him.

As far as the secondary characters went, I felt they were pretty cookie-cutter. You have the mom who's run off leaving the daughter with the "dysfunctional dad" who doesn't keep tabs on her. That part was too cliched and didn't make me like the novel as much I might have otherwise. 

So why 3 stars? It just didn't grab my attention like I wanted it to. I have a curiosity to see what happens, but I am not hooked. 

Warnings/Side-notes: It's young adult. There are no sex scenes, violence, or foul language. However, it's definitely for older YAs as it mentions sex several times and has references to partying, drinking, and some minor sexual innuendos and descriptions. 

The Wrap-up: A novel that has great potential. It was unique, but it just could have been so much better. 

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. I always find it interesting to see what folks consider a YA appropriate for sexual situations. So it literally hurt them to be apart huh. Interesting but ultimately doesn't sound like the book for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah if I had read more reviews first, i probably wouldn't have read it either. :) But now, I'm curious. That's the worst. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)