Friday, February 13, 2015

Reiew: Mending Michael by J. P. Grider

Mending Michael
(Hunter Hill University, #2)
by J.P. Grider
New Adult Realistic Contemporary
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 
Published by: Fated Hearts Publishing
Published on: December 12, 2014
Pages: 371

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

There is a fine line between love and hate.


When bartender Mick Ross first sees Holly Buchanan walk into Donny's Bar, his heart comes to a halt. That is, until she serves him her fake ID and reveals her true nature when she's declined her drink.

Holly thinks Mick is an ass, and she has no clue why he can't stand her. Though, she does enjoy looking at his ass.

So, when Donny hires Holly to waitress at his bar, she must either deal with Mick's hatred toward her or give him a taste of his own medicine.

Tensions are high.
Comments are made.
Hearts are hurt.

But if there really is a fine line between love and hate, then Mick and Holly must decide on which side they stand.


My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

The Characters: Holly and Michael were actually two characters I really enjoyed about. Yes, they made stupid mistakes, but they seemed real to me. If you read in the next section, you'll see that I thought their relationship had substance. 

Holly was an interesting character, one who was full of strength and weakness; one who was full of compassion and yet could be a jerk at the same time. Basically, she was a well developed character. Despite all her flaws, I liked her.

Michael another mix of attributes. He's a gentleman and yet at the same time the bad boy. He's a good brother and uncle and at the same time as things he needs to work through. He's brave and yet lacks courage.

I love when characters are complex. I think that's why I loved the novel. The writing wasn't spectacular; it was pretty average, but I loved the characters. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Finally! This was a new adult novel I loved because it wasn't driven by sexual content or sexual innuendos. Instead, you had two very real, flawed characters who were trying to make a relationship work. They took it slow like normal people do and I loved that.

I loved how the author put the focus more on their personalities and compatibility rather than sex. This novel wasn't lacking in chemistry or in romance either. Michael and Holly had a lot of issues to work through, but I loved watching the characters grow.

I'd recommend this for fans of new adult who want to see a realistic relationship.

I thought the characters made several stupid decisions throughout the novel, but it was a refreshing read. It wasn't the best one I've read, but it definitely stood out from all the other awful new adult books I've read lately. 

So why 3.5 stars? It stood out from all the other new adult novels I've read recently because it actually had substance to it. However, it wasn't my favorite. 

Can I read the series out of order? I did and I didn't feel lost. This can definitely be read as a stand-alone. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Strong language. This book contains several instances in which it says the f word. However, the sexual content is a young adult (14+ level). This book also deals with drug and alcohol addictions. I'd say the novel is for 16+. 

The Wrap-up: A very enjoyable book that I'm glad I read. I'd definitely be interested in reading more by this author. I thought the writing was intriguing and the story drew me in. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)