Sunday, February 1, 2015

Review: Captive by Aimee Carter

Captive
(The Blackcoat Rebellion, #2)
by Aimee Carter
Young Adult Dystopia 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.83
Published by:Harlequin Teen 
Published on: November 25, 2014 
Pages: 304

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

For the past two months, Kitty Doe's life has been a lie. Forced to impersonate the Prime Minister's niece, her frustration grows as her trust in her fake fiancĂ© cracks, her real boyfriend is forbidden and the Blackcoats keep her in the dark more than ever. 

But in the midst of discovering that her role in the Hart family may not be as coincidental as she thought, she's accused of treason and is forced to face her greatest fear: Elsewhere. A prison where no one can escape. 

As one shocking revelation leads to the next, Kitty learns the hard way that she can trust no one, not even the people she thought were on her side. With her back against the wall, Kitty wants to believe she'll do whatever it takes to support the rebellion she believes in—but is she prepared to pay the ultimate price?


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

The Characters: Kitty Doe was a character that I liked from the beginning. I haven't read the first in the series, so I don't know what she was like in the one. But I loved her in this one. She was a strong kick-butt character who wasn't afraid to do what she felt was right. I loved how she grew through the novel.

Benjy was a character that I don't actually feel all that close to. Maybe he was developed in the first book more, but in this one he just kind of was there. I wanted to know more about him. Instead, he felt like a character kind of brought in for certain scenes/moments and then pulled back out again.

Knox- now there's a complicated character. I won't give anything away, but he is one character that I'm dying to know more about. He feels much more developed than Benjy, and I really want to know more about him.

The secondary characters were well-developed as well. I greatly enjoyed watching them all interact. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: The actual writing of this novel was fantastic. I loved how Carter weaved her story. It was absolutely brilliant. I thought the novel was a very fast, engaging read. Like I said, I didn't read the first in the series, but she did a great job of making the story easy to understand and relate to still. I loved the world she created (or actually hated it, but found in really intriguing to read about.)

The novel read similar to many other dystopian novels I've read, but having said that, I did enjoy it still. 

So why 4 stars? It stood out of the crowd. I enjoyed this one quite a bit. 

Can I read the series out of order? I did and I didn't feel lost. Naturally, I'm assuming the story makes more sense if you read it in order, but I still loved this one without having read the first one in the series. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Vague mentions to sex. There are no detailed scenes. There is also mild violence in this novel and vague mentions of nudity. 

The Wrap-up: An enjoyable read. I definitely want to read the next in the series. I have mixed feelings going into the last one in the series. I really hope I don't end up hating it. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)