Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Review: Steadfast Heart by Tracie Peterson

Steadfast Heart
(Brides of Seattle, #1)
by Tracie Peterson
Inspirational Romanc
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.45
Published by: Bethany House Publishers
Published on: January 1, 2015
Pages: 336

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Lenore Fulcher isn't pretentious despite her spoiled upbringing. Her deepest desire at the age of twenty is to find true love. However, her father believes she's wasted enough time searching for a suitable husband, and he wants to marry her off to one of his business partners--thirty-seven-year-old James Rybus. But the idea of marriage to a man so much older is out of the question for Lenore.

Kolbein Booth, a lawyer from Chicago, arrives in Seattle looking for his headstrong sister who he believes may have answered an advertisement for mail-order brides. Sick with worry, he storms the Madison Bridal School, demanding to see his sister, only to learn she isn't there. But Lenore Fulcher is, and something about her captures his attention.

Is this the man Lenore has been searching for? She may not have long 

to find out...
My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I have read several of Tracie Peterson's books. I have loved so many of them, and then I felt like I kind of went through a dry-spell. There were just many by the author that I didn't end up liking.

So I went into this book with mixed feelings. 

This wasn't my favorite book by Peterson, but I did really enjoy it. I thought that the elements of suspense and intrigue were well-done. I also enjoyed the characters. 

The book, in my opinion, follows the story of Lenore's friend Abrianna more than I thought it followed Lenore. I almost felt like Lenore was the secondary character. That was an interesting decision. In that regard, I feel like the synopsis is kind of misleading.  

I felt much more attached to Abrianna. It kind of seemed like Lenore was just kind of thrown in at random times in the story.  I also was not a fan of the insta-love aspect of the novel. Lenore and Kolbein saw each other and bam! they were in love. I thought that the friendship among Abrianna, Kolbein, and Wade was much more founded in reality. 

However, I really liked Abrianna and so I was okay with the novel being centered on her.

The writing of course was great albeit slow at times and I thought that Peterson did a great job crafting a story that was both memorable and left me wondering what would happen next.

For fans of christian romance with a pinch of suspense, this novel proves to be a fun read. 

So why 3 stars? Because it's not about Lenore. I didn't think Lenore was well developed as a character. Abrianna, Kolbein, and some of the other characters seemed much more real to me. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Some tame descriptions of violence and some very tame sexual connotations. 

The Wrap-up: An intriguing read that left me wanting to know what happens next. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)