Monday, February 9, 2015

Top Ten Things I Dislike When It Comes to Romances In Books

Hello Fellow Page-turners,



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish featuring a new top ten list each week. Everyone can participate just head on over to their blog and sign up. Each week they will post a new top ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday.


Top 10 Things I Dislike about Romances

I love romance novels, but surprisingly it was much easier to come up with things I disliked than things I liked. Not sure what that says about me. :)

1. Insta-romances. The love at first sight thing. Now sometimes this is done well, but most of the time it just feels fake and seems forced.

2. The new trend of pretending to kill of the love interest and having them magically reappear. Seriously, when did this become a thing. I hate this. It's just like ha, how can I make your heart stop for a second. 

3. Cheating/Affairs. Occasionally I'll read a good book that will convince me not to hate this, but that's just really rare.  

4. Well written love-triangles. I love several books with love triangles, but they are just too exhausting if they're well written ie: Jennifer Armentrout's White Hot Kisses and Stone Cold books. I'm just so torn between the two of them. Poorly written love triangles are just much easier. 

5. Romances that only focus on physical attraction. I'm not saying that it isn't important, but romances should consist of more than just physical attraction.

6. Boy love interest is controlling, manipulative, or violent. I like the bad boy who's not actually a bad boy type romances, but I really hate it when he's violent or manipulative. 

7. Girl protagonists who are passive and don't stand up for themselves.  Seriously hate that. Get a backbone.

8. When the girl uses the boring safe option because she's afraid. It's probably a bad thing but I really like it when they use the exciting slightly dangerous one (provided he's not actually a jerk).

9. Books that overly sexual in the New Adult genre. See number 5. I just feel like there is so much more than that. I feel like many books in the new adult genre are over-emphasizing sexuality.

10.  Miscommunication between love interests. Seriously, let your characters talk every now and then. Have them actually act like responsible people and talk about their problems. 

Things I Like about Romances

1. Slow-building romances.  I love romances where they take awhile to fall in love. It's just great.

2. When the heroine/hero fall for their best friend. It's just so cute.

3. Failed Romance gets second chance. I love when two people failed at a romance that should have worked out and then they get a second chance at it. It's awful, I know but I like it.

4. Romances that are based on depth and not just sex. When the characters never talk or do anything meaningful, it's just annoying. I love when authors actually write in some depth.

5. Strong female characters. None of this "damsel in distress thing."

6. Relationships based on love not lust.


And that's all for me. What was your top ten? Did you have as hard of a time picking as I did? Please feel free to leave your link in the comments. 
I love reading them. :)

Love, 
Danica Page

15 comments:

  1. Great list! My sister and I had a hard time coming up with likes/dislikes but some of them are similar to yours. I like the idea of "second chance" romances though I'm not sure I've read any, except for maybe Much Ado About Nothing but that's kind of speculation on my part.lol

    Here's our TT: http://betweenyabookends.blogspot.com/2015/02/top-85-things-we-likedislike-about.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the NA books which are overly sexual. I think some authors and readers consider New Adult to be erotica with college aged characters. But I want more from them than that. Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against sex. But I want them to be more than just a smut fest. Have some character building and coming of age plot points.

    Kate @ Fictional Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great list and I agree with all of them! Have you ever read Love Rosie? A lot on your list reminded me of it. It was a great read, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with a lot of your points. I can't stand love triangles though, they just frustrate me! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Passive heroines are annyoing. Stand up for youself!
    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list!I can agree with everything you've said above.

    Here's my list

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great list. I find myself agreeing with you.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Boy love interest is controlling, manipulative, or violent."
    I HATE this. I don't mind if the guy is teasing, but I don't get where the romance lies in books like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love slow building romances and strong females. We need more of both in books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't seem to sit through a reading of martial affairs, and that's just because of my own personal world view :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with your dislike number 7, it's the main thing that put me off New Adult books, it makes it look like the characters aren't able to think about anything other than sex. Great List!
    Paulina @ The Little Book Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list!
    Mis-communication annoys me too, since you can usually see it coming. It's like "no really? That secret blew up in your face?".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this list!!!! I changed mine up a bit check it out :) http://bookbabble.weebly.com/blog/top-ten-tuesday2

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a great list! I really agree with you on SO many of these. I hadn't thought about the well-written love triangle like that, but you are SO right! And the "fake kill" is really annoying at this point. It was fine the first time I read it, I guess, but every subsequent time, my eyes roll a little harder. And yes, I hate the oversexed NA. It feels like the characters are animals with no personality or something! Very nice choices!!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  15. I forgot to put miscommunication on my list, but man is that irritating! And I find your point about love triangles interesting. I hadn't really thought about it like that before, but you're totally right!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)