Monday, March 9, 2015

Review: Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge


Crimson Bound
by Rosamund Hodge 
Young Adult Paranormal
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.16
Published by: Balzer + Bray
Published on: May 5, 2015
Pages: 448

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:


When Rachelle was fifteen she was good—apprenticed to her aunt and in training to protect her village from dark magic. But she was also reckless— straying from the forest path in search of a way to free her world from the threat of eternal darkness. After an illicit meeting goes dreadfully wrong, Rachelle is forced to make a terrible choice that binds her to the very evil she had hoped to defeat.


Three years later, Rachelle has given her life to serving the realm, fighting deadly creatures in an effort to atone. When the king orders her to guard his son Armand—the man she hates most—Rachelle forces Armand to help her find the legendary sword that might save their world. As the two become unexpected allies, they uncover far-reaching conspiracies, hidden magic, and a love that may be their undoing. In a palace built on unbelievable wealth and dangerous secrets, can Rachelle discover the truth and stop the fall of endless night?

Inspired by the classic fairy tale Little Red Riding Hood, Crimson Bound is an exhilarating tale of darkness, love, and redemption.


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

An Overview of the Novel: Rachelle wants to save her world, no matter what the cost. And so when a forestborn comes to her and tells her it's possible, she's willing to do anything to fin out how.

And that was what cost her everything. Now Rachelle is a bloodhound, destined to become the very thing she vowed to hunt and to serve the master she wants dead.

But Rachelle isn't ready to give up hoping. She's going to find a way to save her world. When she receives the assignment to protect Armand, suddenly it seems possible. But with unknown dangers lurking in the shadows, Rachelle might just be in over her head. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: What a delightful novel. I adored this book. A retelling of Little Red Riding Hood? I was hooked the second I read that.

I haven't read Cruel Beauty, but I probably will after reading this one. Hodge did an excellent job of creating a world that suck me in right away. Her world building was incredible.

I adored the characters. None of them were one dimensional. They all had many different facets and I loved that. None of the characters were easy to love or hate. 

The actual story was addicting and I found myself racing to finish it. In a world of paranormal/fantasy, it's hard to come up with an original plot. Hodge did just that. She created a book unlike anything I've ever read.

A fantastic read that I recommend to readers of all ages, especially fans to paranormal, fairy tale retellings, and just anybody looking for an epic read. 

So why 4 stars? It was incredible. I adored it. A book that definitely stood out in my mind. 

Warnings/Side-notes: None appropriate for readers of any age. 

The Wrap-up: Don't miss out on this one. It's an incredible novel that I absolutely adored. I can't wait to read more from this author. 

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. It's good to hear that you enjoyed it. I be been a bit wary about Crimson Bound because I didn't like Cruel Beauty that much. It's wasn't because of the writing, that was one thing that I loved about the book, I just didn't really like the characters. Reading your review makes me want to read Crimson Bound now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Cruel Beauty, but I thought that the characters were likable enough in this one. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)