Sunday, April 26, 2015

Review: Nova and Quinton: No Regrets by Jessica Sorensen

Nova and Quinton: No Regrets
(Nova, #3)
by Jessica Sorensen 
New Adult 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 
Published by: Grand Central Publishing 
Published on: April 15, 2014
Pages: 384

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Today is the first day of Quinton Carter's new life. The toxic guilt of his past left him in pieces-but one girl unexpectedly put him back together. Thanks to Nova Reed, Quinton can finally see the world with clear eyes. She's the reason his heart is still kicking behind the jagged scar on his chest. And he would love to have her in his arms every minute of the day . . . but he's not ready yet.

Playing drums in a band and living with her best friends are just some of the highlights of Nova's life. But the best new development? Talking to Quinton on the phone each night. She wishes she could touch him, kiss him, though she knows he needs time to heal. Yet shocking news is on the way-a reminder of life's dark side-and Nova will need Quinton like he once needed her. Is he strong enough to take the final leap out of his broken past . . . and into Nova's heart?


My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: In the past, I have either loved Sorensen's books or been deeply disappointed. It's always been really hit or miss with me. 

I hadn't read the previous books in this series, but when I was given the chance to review this one, I decided to give it a shot anyway. 

Sorensen, like awalys, tackles tough issues in this book—overcoming drug abuse, suicide of close friends, and death in general. She's never afraid to address tough issues and that's why I like her.

Her writing was engaging and kept me intrigued. She also did a masterful job of making sure that newcomers to the series knew what was going on; while not boring those who have read the rest of the series with a bunch of info dumping. 

I thought that the book was pretty fast-paced. I enjoyed reading it; however, it didn't stand out in my mind. 

The Characters: Nova is a hard character to describe. She comes across as a goody-goody person, who is always trying to help other people. Yet, she sunk into drug usage herself at once. Ever since Nova's first boyfriend committed suicide, she's been determined to save everybody else. 

It was an interesting complex. One that could lead to several problems. She wasn't perfect, but I would have liked Nova to have more of a backbone in the story. I would have liked to see her stand up for herself more. The end gives me the hope that she'll change, but really I would have liked more. 

Quinton was a character that I had an easier time connecting with. (Strange since he was the messed up character, recovering from drugs. And neither of which applies to me.) Quinton was a flawed character and yet he seemed real. He was struggling to get over his past, but he was trying. I loved watching Quinton finding himself.

Other Thoughts: I also liked how Quinton and Nova found themselves and worked through their problems while they were mostly apart from each other. I thought that the romance between them was well crafted. 

So why 3 stars? While I enjoyed it, I didn't love it. It didn't really stand out of the crowd for me. 

Can I read the series out of order? I hadn't read the previous two in the series, and I didn't feel lost. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Several instances of strong language and drug usage. References to sex. Not adult, but not young adult. I'd recommend for 17+. 

The Wrap-up: Fans of Jessica Sorensen will love this one. If you love books that explore gritty issues, then check it out. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)