Monday, April 27, 2015

Review: The Rush (The Siren, #1) by Rachel Higginson

The Rush
(The Siren, #1)
by Rachel Higginson
Young Adult 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.06
Published by: Reckless Siren Publishing
Published on: March 20, 2013
Pages: 370

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:


A life not her own—A future already decided.

Every facet of Ivy Pierce’s life is meticulously planned out and plotted. Cynical and jaded by sixteen, Ivy’s only hope is to escape the legacy she was born into. 

She has a plan, a carefully thought out, feasible plan. She just has to play by the rules until everything falls into place. Unfortunately as predictable as her life can be, she never sees Ryder Sutton coming. He tumbles into her life unimpressed and untouched by her and the life she lives. He’s an enigma to her. A gorgeous, frustrating, sincere mystery and a complete phenomenon in the ugly world she lives in. 

What blooms between them is a fiercely intense attraction that cannot be ignored. Even though they would both be better off without each other—Even if both their lives depend on staying apart. 


My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: This was another book that I went into with no expectations. I liked the cover and synopsis enough to give it a shot.

The book wasn't anything like I thought it would be. I thought it was going to be a romantic story between Ryder and Ivy; that wasn't the story at all. 

I loved Higginson's writing. Her character were interesting and her plot was intriguing. 

Higginson did a great job at capturing my interest. However, having said that several parts of the story lagged and I felt confused about certain scenes. 

Yet, I still really enjoyed this novel. She did a great job at blending mystery, intrigue, and a tad of romance. 

I think fans of young adult paranormal novels will enjoy this one. 

The Characters: Ivy was a likable character. She was definitely down in the dumps of self-pity, and yet she didn't annoy me. I enjoyed watching her character change throughout the novel.

Ryder, I loved him. He seems like such a great guy. Maybe a little too perfect, but I'm not going to complain.

Major Strengths: Originality, strong insight into Ivy's characters and rationale, and a fairly intriguing story line. 

Major Weaknesses: It lagged a little bit and left me confused at times. 

So why 3.5 stars? While I really enjoyed the story and it did stand out of the crowd, it just didn't have that extra something to really wow me. However, all in all a good read. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Fairly clean. Some mild references to violence and sex. Recommended for 15+. 

The Wrap-up: It was enjoyable. It was good enough that I went ahead and bought the sequel. I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)