Friday, May 1, 2015

Review: The Inn at Ocean's Edge by Colleen Coble

The Inn at Ocean's Edge
by Colleen Coble 
Adult Inspirational Romantic Suspense 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.33
Published by: Thomas Nelson
Published on: April 14, 2015
Pages: 336

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

A vacation to Sunset Cove was her way of celebrating and thanking her parents. After all, Claire Dellamore's childhood was like a fairytale. But with the help of Luke Elwell, Claire discovers that fairytale was really an elaborate lie . . .

The minute she steps inside the grand Inn at Ocean's Edge, Claire Dellamare knows something terrible happened there. She feels it in her bones. Her ensuing panic attack causes a scene, upsetting her parents. Claire attempts to quiet her nerves with a walk on the beach, to no avail. She's at too great a distance to make out details, but she believes she witnesses a murder on a nearby cliff. When local police find no evidence of foul play, they quickly write off the "nervous" woman's testimony as less than credible.

But Luke Elwell, home on leave from the Coast Guard, has reason to believe Claire. Years ago when his mother went missing, Luke's father suspected she'd been murdered. He died never having convinced the police to investigate. So when an employee of the grand hotel doesn't show up for work, Luke steps in to help Claire track down the missing woman.

As Claire and Luke put together the pieces of a decades-old mystery, they discover that some family secrets refuse to stay buried. And some passions are worth killing for.


My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I've had a hit and miss relationship with Coble's books. I have either loved them or hated them. I was curious to see which category this book fell into. 

The book started out kind of slowly for me, which is surprising considering all the action that happened so quickly in the novel. However, it quickly picked up the pace. 

I thought that Coble did a great job at creating an enjoyable novel to read. She did a great job of weaving complex plot lines. She also did a great job at writing about religious elements without doing so in a way that was overkill. 

I thought that this was one of Coble's better novels. 

The Characters: Coble didn't actually tell us a lot about the characters' personalities or beliefs. We learned about past events that happened to them and their reaction to current situations, but I never felt like I learned all that much about the characters.

However, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I still enjoyed the characters. Claire was a sympathetic, nice character who I could relate to. I would have liked more insight into her character, but I liked the glimpses we saw.

Luke was another character that I really liked. Once again, we didn't get much insight into his character. However, I felt like I knew more about him than Claire. I loved his willingness to sacrifice and to help others.

I thought the characters were a little bit one-dimensional, but I still enjoyed the story. 

Major Strengths: A well developed plot line, interesting characters, and a great grasp of writing. 

Major Weaknesses: Predictability and one-dimensional characters. 

So why 3 stars? All in all, I did really enjoy this novel. However, it didn't really have anything extra special to make it stand out in my mind. Having said that, I did enjoy it though. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Several instances of violence. 

The Wrap-up: An enjoyable read. Maybe a little one-dimensional, but I still liked it. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)