Saturday, May 2, 2015

Review: Under the Spotlight by Angie Stanton

Under the Spotlight
(The Jamieson Collection, #3)
by Angie Stanton 
New Adult Realistic Contemporary 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.73
Published by: HarperTeen
Published on: May 5, 2015
Pages: 400
Add on Goodreads
Buy on Amazon

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:


After an embarrassing stint on a reality-TV music competition years ago, Riley vowed never to sing again. Now she's behind the scenes, working at the prestigious Sound Sync recording studio, and life is looking up. But then Garrett Jamieson, the oldest brother in the famous Jamieson brothers band, crashes into her world.

Garrett has hit rock bottom, and he is desperate to reinvent himself. After calling in a few favors, he ends up working at Sound Sync to learn the ropes of record producing from the industry's best. And he can't believe his luck when he discovers that Riley has been keeping a secret—she is an amazing singer. By producing her album, he's sure to top the record charts again. But Garrett is forced to use every trick in his arsenal to persuade the sassy girl to record.

Riley refuses to sing—or even entertain the thought of it—and sparks fly as Garrett finally meets his match. But in the heat of the moment, one stolen kiss changes everything. Will Riley be the first person to finally rein Garrett in, or will Garrett succeed in getting Riley back under the spotlight?


My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I hadn't read the previous two in the series. In fact, I'd never heard of this author or this series. I just decided to give it a shot after seeing the cover. 

It was a pretty decent read. I enjoyed the dynamic between Riley and Garrett. Her novel was definitely fast-paced, and the writing was fairly clean. 

I tend to enjoy books about music. That was my favorite part about this book. I loved the music background. I thought Stanton did a good job creating this one. It was enjoyable. 

The Characters: Riley was an interesting character. I was rooting for her to stand up to her terrible mother the entire novel. I won't give away if she did or not. But I did enjoy Riley's spunk and yet also how nice she could be. 

I didn't actually like Garrett all that much in the beginning. However, by the end he had grown on me. I thought he was a well written character and it was interesting to learn about him. 

I found the relationship between Riley and Garrett to be a little bit rushed and a little unbelievable. However, I still enjoyed watching them interact. 

Major Strengths: I loved the music background and also the spunk of the characters. 

Major Weaknesses: I thought the novel lacked a strong hook to draw me into the story. I also thought the relationship between Garrett and Riley was a little rushed. 

So why 3 stars? While it was enjoyable, it just didn't stick out from the rest of the books I've read. 

Can I read the series out of order? I did, but I didn't feel lost at all. This one has practically no references to earlier books. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Some language. Some sexual references. However, this is pretty tame as far as new adult goes. 16+. 

The Wrap-up: An enjoyable read set to a musical background. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)