Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Review: The Devil You Know by Trish Doller

The Devil You Know
by Trish Doller
New Adult 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.79
Published by: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Published on: June 2,2015 
Pages: 256

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Eighteen-year-old Arcadia wants adventure. Living in a tiny Florida town with her dad and four-year-old brother, Cadie spends most of her time working, going to school, and taking care of her family. So when she meets two handsome cousins at a campfire party, she finally has a chance for fun. They invite her and friend to join them on a road trip, and it's just the risk she's been craving-the opportunity to escape. But what starts out as a fun, sexy journey quickly becomes dangerous when she discovers that one of them is not at all who he claims to be. One of them has deadly intentions.

A road trip fling turns terrifying in this contemporary story that will keep readers on the edge of their seats.
 


My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions:  I picked this one up purely because it was written by Doller. I've loved her earlier work and was intrigued to read her latest.

This novel is set in a genre that I normally don't read. The beginning was a little bit slow for me. It took me awhile to get into it. However, the writing was fantastic and I loved the characters. 

The book was original, and Doller did a great job at developing it. I thought the pacing was slow at times, but overall, I enjoyed it.

I thought that the book was an intriguing look at the South and of all of her characters. 

It was a fun read; different than her other works but still enjoyable. 

Major Strengths: Doller always does a great job at creating original, poignant stories. 

Major Weaknesses: Slow beginning and the pacing dragged a little for me. 

So why 3.5 stars? It stood out of the pack, but it wasn't quite good enough to get a 4.

The Wrap-up: Different than her other novels, but it was still really good. 

Love,

Danica Page

8 comments:

  1. I agree -- the setting of this one was fantastic!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The setting was great. One of the best things about the book.

      Delete
  2. My feelings were the same as yours. Trish Doller has a great way with plotting and story development but something was lost in translation here. I did not enjoy it as much as I expected to do so. Lovely cover and amazing title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep you nailed my feelings in a nutshell.

      Delete
  3. The originality sounds good as well as the setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those definitely were some of the highlights for me.

      Delete
  4. Ah, you gave this one half a star more than I did. Like you, I picked up The Devil You Know because I love Doller's Something Like Normal. I agree that the pace was really slow at the beginning, and honestly, the book was very predictable. But then again, it wasn't bad at all. Lovely review, girl!

    Sarika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you agreed with me. I hope her next one is going to be great. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)