Saturday, July 25, 2015

Guest Post: Why I wrote my first novel by Izabela Monick

Fellow Page Turners,

Today I'm pleased to welcome Izabela Monick to the site. 


Izabela Monick is the author of a suspenseful romance novel, Evitable Destiny, a complex mix of love, hate, trust, betrayal, and steamy sexual encounters. Izabela has loved writing long essays and making up stories since she was young. She used to think of new endings to her favorite books during school hours, often displeasing her teachers because of this constant daydreaming. She continued devising new ways to change plots of books she’s read into adulthood. One day, while sitting in a business meeting, she got lost in her thoughts and was brought back to reality with a demand for an answer to a question she didn’t hear. It was then that she decided to write a book with her very own ending and get the voices out of her head. The reality is that once the old voices come out, new ones come in, and stories never end. Now Izabela delights in shocking her readers with unexpected twists and turns, while keeping her plots brimming with heated passion until the final page. 

Please join in welcoming me in Izabela Monick to the site. You can check out my review of her book here. 


Why Did I Write My First Book, Evitable Destiny?

I thought I knew the answer to this question before I started this project, but I couldn’t have been more wrong. I thought that I wanted to prove to myself and the entire world that I could do it, but that wasn’t it. 

Deep inside I always knew I was a writer. It was just a matter of time and the right circumstances for the voices to come out of my head. The time came after I’d read so many books with plots I desperately wanted to change that I couldn’t hold the frustration anymore, and Amazon created the right circumstances by enabling indie authors to publish their books.

Once I’d made my decision and started to research the topic of how to write a novel, I found a lot of valuable advice from other authors that helped me understand why I was doing it. For most people it may be a simple question, but for me it was one of the most difficult ones, and I couldn’t really get the plot and the characters to work until I answered it. Here is some of the advice that I found and how it applied to me:

 "Money shouldn’t be the leading reason to write a novel.” 

This was never an issue. I knew it would be hard for a new author to shine in this competitive market. Money was not why I did it.

“Write something you would want to read. If you don’t like what you wrote, you can’t expect other people to like it.” 

This gave me a good start. I wrote a big chunk of my novel with Chris so evil that my skin crawled when I was editing it. Then I found the next advice:

“If you write something that only you would read, you may want to think about it twice before committing a tremendous amount of time to it.”  

After I’d read some bad reviews for romance novels, I changed my devilish male character into a likable man.

“Don’t wait for inspiration and don’t procrastinate; set yourself a daily goal of how much you’re going to write.” 

This concept did not work for me at all. I don’t know how people can say “I’m going to write 2,000 words each day,” and then actually do it. I can’t do anything without inspiration. When it comes, I write through the night without knowing when the morning comes. When it leaves, I find myself editing one sentence for a week and still not getting it right.

So why did I write my novel? 

I wrote it for myself, to have my own story with my own ending, and to let my inspiration take the physical form of a book—as I was writing it, I couldn’t wait to hold the paperback in my hand. I lived through every scene, and then again multiple times more while editing it. But I wouldn’t feel like an author if I were the only reader, so I did my best to please my readers—giving them what they’d asked for in reviews of other romance novels and eliminating what they hated. I hope I did a good job and that you’ll enjoy my book.

Izabela Monick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)