Monday, July 13, 2015

Review: Between Us and the Moon by Rebecca Maizel

Between Us and the Moon
by Rebecca Maizel 
Young Adult 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.86
Published by: Harper Teen 
Published on: June 30, 2015
Pages: 384

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Ever since Sarah was born, she’s lived in the shadow of her beautiful older sister, Scarlett. But this summer on Cape Cod, she’s determined to finally grow up. Then she meets gorgeous college boy Andrew. He sees her as the girl she wants to be. A girl who’s older than she is. A girl like Scarlett.

Before she knows what’s happened, one little lie has transformed into something real. And by the end of August, she might have to choose between falling in love, and finding herself.

Fans of Jenny Han and Stephanie Perkins are destined to fall for this story about how life and love are impossible to predict.


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received a copy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions:  This book had several elements that I normally don't like. I'm not going to give anything away, so don't worry. 

I generally don't like books that have characters who tell lies or books that have relationships between a girl and a guy when one is under the age of 18 and the other is over that age.

However, somehow in this book I was able to overlook those elements and was left with a book I adored. I really wasn't bugged by either of those elements in this book and that surprised me. I think the book was so well written and I loved the characters so much that I just wasn't phased by it.

I adored the fact that the romance didn't take center stage in this book. The book was more about self-discovery and being okay with who you really are.

I actually could relate to the themes in this book. This might be Maizel's first realistic novel, but in my opinion, she knocked it out of the park. I can't wait to see what she comes up with next. 

The Characters: They were flawed. They were real. They were stupid. All of which made me love the book. I liked how nerdy Bean was. It was so cute. 

Major Strengths: The writing style itself.

Major Weaknesses: Bean didn't act like any 16 year old I know. She acted much older, but I still liked it. 

So why 4 stars? Due to certain plotlines, I made it a 4. I had an issue with certain parts, but I won't talk about that here because it would give too much away. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Vague sexual references (totally appropriate for 14+). References to drinking and alcohol. 

The Wrap-up: A fun, enjoyable book that I was still thinking about long after I finished it. 

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds like such a lovely summer read! I'm also not the biggest fan of that type of age gap, but based on you review I'll definitely give this one a try!

    Sophie @ Seamless Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great read. You just have to be able to get past the age gap. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)