Saturday, July 25, 2015

Review: Evitable Destiny by Izabela Monick

Evitable Destiny
by Izabela Monick
New Adult 
Asked to Review
Published on: July 12, 2015
Pages: 239

Before I get into my review, you can check out her guest post here if you're interested. And now here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Since Chris's mother died when he was sixteen years old, he has lived for only one goal: seeking revenge on his mother’s ex-lover, Kevin. Determined not to repeat his mother’s mistake, Chris vows never to fall into love’s seductive, deceptive clutches.

With Kevin’s business teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, Chris senses his chance. He kidnaps Kevin’s stepdaughter, Julia, and sets a ransom—if Kevin cancels a company-saving business deal, then Julia will be returned. The scheme seems perfect—until Chris’s long-suppressed feelings for Julia bubble to the surface. Julia, meanwhile, proves a resilient captive with a knack for pushing Chris’s buttons, even as her own feelings for her kidnapper become increasingly conflicted.

As the passion between Chris and Julia heats up, other forces come into play. Chris isn’t the only one who wants Julia, nor is he the only one willing to abduct her to satisfy his needs. Julia’s life—and perhaps Chris’s only chance at love—are in danger. Will Chris fight for his happily ever after—or will he let destiny take its own path?

A steamy tale of revenge, passion, and forgiveness, Evitable Destiny is author Izabela Monick’s powerful debut novel.
 


My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received a copy of this novel from the author/publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

Why did I decide to turn the pages? When I was asked to review it, I didn't feel like saying no. I get a lot of review requests and unfortunately have to decline most of them. So when I can accept one, I try to do so. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: So I don't know where to begin with this book. This book had a lot going on, and I mean a lot going on. 

Basically, going into this novel, I was hesitant. The whole Stockholm Syndrome is always iffy for me. It just seems unhealthy and depressing. I had my doubts. In some cases, Monick did a great job of eradicating those doubts. In others, they came back full force.

I did enjoy the novel as a whole. However, in order to do this book justice, I feel like I need to explore the aspects that I liked and disliked in more detail than I normally do. 

Liked: The complex plot and all the themes that Monick weaved in. 

Disliked: The dialog seemed a little forced to me and was hard to get through.

Liked: The book captured my attention and kept it til the last page. 

Disliked: While I liked that this book had a lot going on, sometimes it seemed like too much was going on.

As for the characters and general story, I can't put them in a neat dislike/like category. I really disliked Chris in the beginning. He seemed like a complete jerk and he treated Julia like crap. Basically, without giving anything away, Julia was like a caged bird or a toy that he just wanted to control and do whatever he wanted with. He really didn't care for Julia or her feelings and emotions. It was all just one sick game to him. Not appealing to me at all.

Furthermore, I would have liked to see more of a change in Chris throughout the novel. He seemed pretty static. However, by the end, I didn't dislike him as much. The author tried to make him a redeemable, likable character, but she needed to do a lot more to redeem him in my eyes. 

Julia- I thought she was an interesting character to read about. I couldn't always make sense of her actions or behavior, but she intrigued me. I wished she would have had more depth and been more dynamic, but she was well-written. I hated a lot of her choices and decisions, but I enjoyed her character on the whole. 

Overall plot: There was a lot going on. It made for an intriguing book, but I thought the ending was a little rushed. The pacing was slightly off in some parts (too quick in some places, too slow in others.)

However, having said all of this, I did enjoy the novel. It'd intriguing and entertaining. Just know going into this, that it is definitely very Stockholm Syndrome-ish, dramatic, and intense. If you don't like characters that aren't pretty close to being perfect morally this isn't for you. 

Major Strengths: Intriguing, compelling storyline.

Major Weaknesses: Characterization of the interactions between Chris and Julia. 

So why 3 stars? I did really enjoy it, but there were some things I really didn't like. 

Warnings/Side-notes: No instances of strong language. Some references to drinking and mention of sex. Not detailed, but more detailed than most YA. 17+.

The Wrap-up: Monick's debut was compelling and interesting. I'd be interested in seeing what she does next. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)