Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Review: Faking Perfect by Rebecca Phillips

Faking Perfect
by Rebecca Phillips
Young Adult 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.54
Published by: Kensington
Published on: June 30, 2015
Pages: 272

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:


When Lexi Shaw seduced Oakfield High's resident bad boy Tyler Flynn at the beginning of senior year, he seemed perfectly okay with her rules:

1. Avoid her at school.
2. Keep his mouth shut about what they do together.
3. Never tease her about her friend (and unrequited crush) Ben.

Because with his integrity and values and golden boy looks, Ben can never find out about what she’s been doing behind closed doors with Tyler. Or that her mom’s too busy drinking and chasing losers to pay the bills. Or that Lexi’s dad hasn’t been a part of her life for the last thirteen years. But with Tyler suddenly breaking the rules, Ben asking her out, and her dad back in the picture, how long will she be able to go on faking perfect?

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received a copy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: This had to be one of my most highly anticipated reads of the summer. I adored the cover, the title, the synopsis, and pretty much everything about this book. And even though I had never heard of this author or any of her books before, this book was screaming at me to read it. 

To say I went in with high expectations would be an understatement. 

It didn't disappoint. This book explored poignantly what it means to be yourself, and I always love books like this. I don't think I've loved a young adult realistic contemporary novel this much since Dessen and my first Ockler novels. 

Lexi was far from perfect. She was flawed, made stupid mistakes, and is far from what I would call being a role model. She was hypocritical, rash, and at times downright annoying. But I adored watching her learn and grow.

Phillips wrote in a powerfully honest way. Some have called the book edgy. I didn't think it was all that edgy, but it definitely wasn't the stereotypical YA novel.

The plot was somewhat predictable, yet at the same times, it was also quite original. 

Any book that makes me want to go write a book or leaves me thinking about it after I'm done automatically is one that I love. I remembered this one long after I turned the last page and will remember my experience with this book for a long time. 

The Characters: Expertly crafted. They were flawed, aggravating, annoying, beautiful, fun, and all that characters should be. 

Major Strengths: I'm not quite sure what made this book so good to be honest. I'll go with subject matter, characters, and the writing style as a whole.

Major Weaknesses: I thought it could have explored certain aspects more in depth.

So why 4 stars? Honestly, I went back between 4, 4.5, and 5 for a long time. I ended up with 4 because while I loved it, I've loved books more and only given them a 4.5. It wasn't quite a 4.5/5, but it was close. 

Warnings/Side-notes: This book is an interesting one to try to describe. There were a lot of sexual references, but they were done in a Dessen kind of way. Meaning, you knew characters were having sex, but there was absolutely no details and it wasn't mentioned at all. That's also how it was with drinking and drugs. There was really minor acts of violence (school fighting). 

However, there were several instances of strong language in here. 

The Wrap-up: A great book that I thoroughly enjoyed. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)