Friday, July 17, 2015

Review: The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Fixer 
(The Fixer,#1)
by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Young Adult 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.28
Published by: Bloomsbury USA Children
Published on: July 7, 2015
Pages: 384

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Sixteen-year-old Tess Kendrick has spent her entire life on her grandfather's ranch. But when her estranged sister Ivy uproots her to D.C., Tess is thrown into a world that revolves around politics and power. She also starts at Hardwicke Academy, the D.C. school for the children of the rich and powerful, where she unwittingly becomes a fixer for the high school set, fixing teens’ problems the way her sister fixes their parents’ problems.

And when a conspiracy surfaces that involves the family member of one of Tess's classmates, love triangles and unbelievable family secrets come to light and life gets even more interesting—and complicated—for Tess.

Perfect for fans of Pretty Little Liars and Heist Society, readers will be clamoring for this compelling teen drama with a political twist.
 


My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received a copy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

Why did I decide to turn the pages? The cover and recognition of the author. Then I saw it was compared to Heist Society and that cinched it. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I haven't read anything by this author, even though I've been meaning to for ages. So when I saw something of hers on Goodreads, I was sold.

I loved the concept of the book. The idea of covering scandals in D.C. and the idea of getting two sisters involved....yeah, like I said I was sold.

The plot moved quickly, the characters were intriguing, and the suspense was expertly crafted.

I did guess several of the turns in this novel, but there were still several that surprised me. The ending was kind of shocking in many ways, and it definitely led me wanting to read more.

Fans of Nancy Drew, Sammy Keyes, the Hiest Society, and other novels of that genre, will love this one.

Some of my favorite aspects of the novel:

  • It wasn't focused on a cliched romance. That's so rare. There were hints of potential for future romance, but it definitely wasn't the focus of the novel.
  • The cover-ups of D.C., the family drama, and the scandals. It was great.
  • The fact that there actually were moments of mystery and suspense.
  • The ending.
  • The characterization of Tess, Asher, and Henry. 
Things I wish would happen but probably won't happen:
  • That the release date of the sequel wasn't in 2016
  • I would also actually love reading this same novel but from Ivy's perspective. I think that would be absolutely fascinating.
Things that I didn't like/flaws:
  • Alright, certain parts seemed a little bit unrealistic or farfetched.
There were several aspects where I went, "Really?" However, I still really enjoyed the book.


The Characters: I've already mentioned that I adored the characterization of Tess, Asher, and Henry. They were fantastic people to read about. I loved their interactions. Definitely recommend reading this for the characters alone. 

Major Strengths: I think you've probably realized that it was the characters that made the book for me. 

Major Weaknesses: Several unrealistic elements. 

So why 3.5 stars? It stood out of the crowd, but not quite enough to be a 4. 

Can I read the series out of order? 

Warnings/Side-notes: Some violence, but I'd recommend this to readers of any age. 

The Wrap-up: I really enjoyed this novel and can't wait for the next one. 

Love,

Danica Page

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm really excited to read this one :)

    -- Nicola Reads YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you get your hands on this soon.

      Delete
  2. Really looking forward to reading this one. It sounds exactly like my kind of book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic. I hope you get to it soon. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)