Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Review: Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kenneally

Jesse's Girl 
(Hundred Oaks)
by Miranda Kenneally
Young Adult 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.98
Published by: Sourcebooks Fire
Published on: July 7, 2015
Pages: 304

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Everyone at Hundred Oaks High knows that career mentoring day is a joke. So when Maya Henry said she wanted to be a rock star, she never imagined she’d get to shadow *the* Jesse Scott, Nashville’s teen idol.

But spending the day with Jesse is far from a dream come true. He’s as gorgeous as his music, but seeing all that he’s accomplished is just a reminder of everything Maya’s lost: her trust, her boyfriend, their band, and any chance to play the music she craves. Not to mention that Jesse’s pushy and opinionated. He made it on his own, and he thinks Maya’s playing back up to other people’s dreams. Does she have what it takes to follow her heart—and go solo?


My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received a copy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

Why did I decide to read this? I've loved all of the previous ones in the series and have enjoyed it immensely.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions:  I'm going to stick with the first one was my favorite one in the series. The rest have never quite lived up to that first one. However, I did really enjoy this one too. 

I love when books are about music. I don't know why, but I always have and probably always will.

I loved the plot of this book and the characters. Maya and Jason were two great cute characters to read about. I loved how Maya and Jason got together on a school shadowing day and decided to bail and have a Ferris Bueler's day off kind of day. 

It was a fantastic setting. I loved all the crazy adventures the two went on. The characters were my favorite part of this book. They were well developed and fun to read about.

This novel was a fun, cute read albeit a little unrealistic at times. I thought the pacing was spot on. 

Major Strengths: Characters were fantastic. 

Major Weaknesses: It lacked depth to make it a 4 star novel, but it was fun, frivolous read. 

So why 3.5 stars? It stood out from the crowd, but not quite enough to earn 4 stars. A fun, cute read, however. 

Can I read the series out of order? Yes, each one can be read as a stand-alone. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Vague (exceptionally vague) references to sex and drinking. Some cases of strong language, but definitely on the cleaner end. 

The Wrap-up: An enjoyable fun read. I've come to enjoy Kenneally's books. Still waiting for one as enjoyable as the first. However, Breathe Annie Breathe came close. 

Love,

Danica Page

4 comments:

  1. I agree, I also found Jesse's Girl lacking of depth and a little unrealistic.I also found it very cliche and predictable, and yet despite all that I found myself enjoying it. Great review!
    Boarding with Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. :) I totally agree with you.

      Delete
  2. This one was definitely my least favorite in the series and I'm surprised that it is getting such high reviews! Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it but I have LOVED the other books in the series so much more. My favorite is still #3, which is typically everyone's least favorite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not my favorite in the series either. I really enjoyed the other ones. I actually quite liked that one as well.

      I get what you're saying. I don't think it lived up to some of the other ones. This one also had nothing to do with sports which did bug me. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)