Sunday, November 29, 2015

Review: Storms over Secrets by J. A. DeRouen

Storms over Secrets
(Over,#3)
by J.A. DeRouen 
Adult 
Asked to Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 
Published by: 
Published on: 
Pages:

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Promises are lies dressed up for the party.

Secrets poison the fairest of fairy tales.

Lies stain the purest of loves.

I've paid the ultimate price for my choices. The tendrils of those sins bind me to my past. The remnants of my love hold me captive.

Then he walks into my life and makes me believe in second chances. He awakens feelings in my I know I shouldn't have. I yearn for a future without guilt. With him, I dream of a love untainted.

Regret is a far reaching emotion. It barrels through time like a blazing comet, and its path isn't always straight. No matter what I feel, I cannot bring myself to regret the time I've spent with Cain.

But it doesn't mean I can have him.

My name is Celia Lemaire, and this is my story of broken promises.


My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received a copy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

Why did I decide to turn the pages? I loved the synopsis. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First thought, who names their kid Cain? That's just cruel and asking for trouble. The whole time I was thinking of fratricide. 

Besides that, I loved the synopsis. It was so lyrical and the type of writing I loved. The novel was not written in that style. It actually had quite a humorous tone for most of it. Some might even say a crass sense of humor. 

I had a hard time connecting with Celia because for most of the novel we didn't know what was going on in her head. I never felt like I understood her. She was always held aloof and mysterious, even when we were in her POV. 

Cain was a character that I actually liked, yet sometimes his actions left me confused too. 

The synopsis did not prepare me for the relationship between Celia and Cain or the writing style for the novel. Furthermore, I won't give spoilers, but the whole relationship between Cain and Celia seemed really forced at times. Celia just seemed to be acting quite out of character, but then again that could be because I never understood Celia as a character. 

The novel just really wasn't my cup of tea. However, having said that, I think if I had gone in with the right expectations, I would have liked it. It dealt with some serious issues, but the novel is meant to be comical. I think people who like more straight adult romance rather than new adult will like this. 

So why 3 stars? It wasn't my cup of tea, but it wasn't bad. 

Can I read the series out of order? Yes, I didn't feel lost. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Very adult. I ended up skimming several pages (more so than normal) because I felt uncomfortable. Strong usage of language. Mature audiences only. 

The Wrap-up: A novel that I think others will like, but it wasn't for me. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)